Published on June 15th, 2015 | by Tom May0
E3 2015: EA LIVEBLOG!
Day two of Need To Consume’s liveblogs for E3 2015 continues! With one down, next up is the EA press conference. Unlike some of the other companies giving a conference this year, EA has released a fairly comprehensive list of the games to expect. Some of them you might already have guessed: the latest FIFA, Need for Speed, and all the other EA Sports mainstays. There’s also some promised footage of Star Wars Battlefront which they’re going to have to start ramping up the hype and the details for seeing as it’s penned in for release this November (And is now closely competing with Fallout 4). There’s also talk of a new expansion for the Bioware MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic that sounds like it might be shaking the game up a little, the Mirror’s Edge sequel, and a few promised surprises as well. I haven’t the foggiest what they might be, but feel free to share your best guesses with us!
You can watch the stream along with us as it happens, just read the updates here as they come in, or come back later once it’s all over to read at your own preferred pace of leisure. And feel free to let us know what you think either in the comments below or on Twitter to our account @NeedToConsume which will be livetweeting along as well!
9:01pm BST – Johnny Cash Press Conference Starts! Uh, EA.
9:02pm BST – Mass Effect: Andromeda
- Holiday 2016 release.
- Johnny Cash as a squad mate?
- A new galaxy to explore.
- I’m in.
9:06pm BST – Need For Speed
- Those cars are very wet.
- Apparently this is inspired by all the other games. I’ll take his word for it!
- Journey to become the ‘ultimate icon’.
- World twice the size of Rivals
- ‘You can explore it, race it, and own it.’
- Running on Frostbite. Like all EA games these days.
- I may have paid more attention to the screen saying SWTOR is next rather than this guy. Sorry guy!
- November 3rd release. This year? Next? Stop doing this, guys!
- Blending live action actors with in-game graphics. I think they might be showing off a little! Then again, this could all be an elaborate fake and not representative of the actual game, so let’s not get too excited.
- Night time race with wet roads. Pretty much the perfect storm for showing off graphics in your game. (GTAV, Watch Dogs, Sleeping Dogs…)
9:14pm BST – Star Wars: The Old Republic – Knights of the Fallen Empire
- More story. Yes please.
- Back to Bioware style storytelling
- Dangerous new faction
- Choose a path, help or betray companions
- Player choice.
- Free to all subscribers
- Bring out the Blur cinematic!
- I have no idea what’s going on, but he’s speaking my language. Star Wars!
9:19pm BST – Unravel
‘Unravel introduces Yarny, a tiny, new character made from a single thread of yarn, who embarks on a seemingly larger than life journey through the breath-taking, lush environments of Northern Scandinavia. Using Yarny’s small thread and big heart, players will traverse nature’s obstacles in this unique physics-based puzzle platformer. To watch the first gameplay trailer and learn more about the game, please visit www.unravelgame.co.uk‘
- New original IP.
- Coldwood. Small studio in Sweden.
- Puzzle platformer where you play as a character made of yarn. Unravels (hey!) as you move.
- Yarn represents love? Deep, man. Real deep.
- Gerbils hate yarn and will kill you.
- This trailer feels like every saccharine, uplifting drama ever. ONE YARN… IN A SEARCH… FOR HIMSELF/HERSELF
9:25pm BST – Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2… again
- Oh good, a mascot mugging for the camera. EA kicking off the cringey E3 antics at last!
- Seems you can play as zombies this time. Plants are the bad guys. I think that’s new?
- I’ll be honest: Never been into PvZ or it’s shooter off-shoot. This isn’t doing much for me.
- But if you liked the other one, good news! Here is more.
- Graveyard Ops most requested feature. Second most requested was single player. So they added that too!
- All players of the original game will be able to transfer their unlocks to the new game. That’s a cool thing to do.
9:34pm BST – EA Sports
‘Built with more input from our fans than ever before,NHL 16 steps onto the ice to deliver new features across the most played single player and team modes, including a reimagined EA SPORTS Hockey League. Combined with new gameplay balance and innovation at every position and an unrivalled game day authenticity, NHL 16 puts you into the heart of a team, where you play together and win together.’
- NHL 16. A hockey game, in case you didn’t know.
- Theme of ‘innovation’
‘With stunning authentic and fantasy experiences, EA SPORTS Rory Mcllroy PGA TOUR truly delivers Golf Without Limits. Play what you want, how you want, where you want.’
- Rory Mcilroy PGA Tour. Golf with a conspicuous lack of Tiger Woods!
- Sports card game. Alright.
- NBA Live 16. Check out that outfit! (I wasn’t looking, oops)
- All about self-expression. I’m trying not to make fun, really.
- Bring out the ‘Hoop God’.
- Apparently being a Hoop God means looking into a camera and following instructions.
- September 29th release date. This year? Next? Sigh.
- Bye Hoop God! (I feel like I’m missing something.)
- These details are all a bit too technical for me. Sorry! Sounds like they’re changing/improving things though. That’s good sometimes, right?
9:44pm BST – EA Mobile
- Everyone’s pronouncing mobile as ‘mobble’ and I’m okay with this.
- Star Wars card game. Everyone trying to come after the CCG king. (Hearthstone)
- A Minions game. Allegedly?
- Oh there we go. Looks nothing like the trailer.
- I see currencies.
- ‘Unexpected moments that make this world come to life.’
- Hey, this is kind of like that Fallout mobile game, except they’re going to charge you for everything!
- Out later this year.
9:48pm BST – Pele the game
- Seems to be about Pele talking about football? Seems pretty dynamic with all the archival footage.
- Free to play? Subscription based? 10 dollars for every 500 words?
- ‘That was kind of unbelievable’. Yeah…
9:56pm BST – Just kidding. FIFA 16
- ‘The most balanced FIFA yet’. Topical joke about Sepp Blatter leaving.
- More ‘moments of magic’ in the final third.
- Mo cap work from the world’s best player. Whoever that is.
- Women’s teams in the game. Apparently took years to develop!
- Those player faces are pretty zombie-looking. Maybe it’s just me?
- Trailer with Pele talking over it. Pretty smart cross promotion with that Pele game from earlier!
- ‘Play, beautiful.’ Save your honeyed words, Pele. I’m just not that into football.
10:02pm BST – Mirror’s Edge Catalyst
‘Mirror’s Edge Catalyst immerses players in the origin story of Faith, and her rise from a careless young woman to a heroine who opens the eyes of an entire city. Featuring fluid movement and combat in a massive city where you can run free and explore, Mirror’s Edge Catalyst adds a new level of immersion to action adventure games by putting you in the first person perspective. You are not just watching Faith’s fight for freedom, you will experience it through her eyes. To watch the reveal trailer from E3 2015 for Mirror’s Edge Catalyst, please visit:http://www.mirrorsedge.com/en_
- February 23rd 2016.
- Faith’s origin story.
- Here comes the trailer.
- Sorry about the lack of details, stream died!
- This utopic dystopia sure is pretty.
10:06pm BST – Madden NFL 16
- You wants sports? We got all kinds of sports.
- Fantasy football stuff.
- Mica says EA Sports needs its own conference. I agree. A quarantine would be grand.
- Look at that sweet mud tech. I’m trying, guys.
10:14pm BST – Star Wars Battlefront
- Is this also a sport?
- ‘Incredibly detailed, immersive, and completely authentic’. Lofty promise! Let’s watch.
- Or let’s hear about this lady’s childhood with Star Wars. That’s good too.
- A ‘variety’ of multiplayer modes. All the way down to 8 players.
- Can play as heroes/villains. Of course! Was the most popular part of Battlefront 2.
- AI mode if you want to play by yourself. Nice.
- Of Hoth. Why am I not surprised?
- Captured on PS4.
- Lot of character chatter.
- Can switch to third person mode. Which looks pretty good!
- AT-AT piloting. It’s… pretty big!
- A lot of vehicle combat.
- Those explosions look preeeetty good.
- Cockpit view in TIE Fighter.
10:25pm BST – End of Show
And that’ll do it for EA. If I’m being honest, that was definitely the weakest of the E3 conferences so far. That characteristic E3 awkwardness had been almost entirely absent up until this point, but EA managed to bring that in spades.
Not without stuff I liked though! For me, it really started off with a bang thanks to two Bioware games that I’m super excited about but that gradually tapered off. SWTOR expansion and Mass Effect 4? Yes. The entire EA Sports catalogue? Not really for me. Still, good for the people that like those things!
Star Wars Battlefront presented itself very nicely even as a console version, both in regards to graphics and sound, though it’s impossible to tell much about how it plays and I suspect that’s where the game will live or die once the new film hype wears down. Better catch your second wind though, consumer, because Ubisoft’s conference is next and it’s following hot on the heels of EA.