Published on June 16th, 2015 | by Tom May0
E3 2015: Nintendo LIVEBLOG!
The last day of the big E3 2015 press conferences is upon us, so let’s strap ourselves in for one last mad dash of liveblogging! Kicking off this third and final day are those industry giants Nintendo, intent on doing their own thing and eschewing the traditional keynote with a stage and instead going for another ‘digital event’. What can we expect to see? It’s apparently been confirmed that the new Legend of Zelda game that got everyone so hyped last year won’t be making an appearance, apparently because they want to focus on making the game instead. Fair enough! Mario Maker has already been making the rounds in some E3 livestreams and is looking pretty impressive, even to someone like me. Star Fox for the Wii U is also confirmed to be playable at E3, so that’s almost a dead certainty as well. Beyond that, Nintendo’s playing it close to their chest. It’s not long now, so let’s find out together!
You can watch the stream along with us as it happens, just read the updates here as they come in, or come back later once it’s all over to read at your own preferred pace of leisure. And feel free to let us know what you think either in the comments below or on Twitter to our account @NeedToConsume which will be livetweeting along as well!
5pm BST – Show Begins!
- Nintendo are muppets. Their words! Not mine!
- Oh good. They’re still milking Reggie as everyone’s favourite memetically awkward executive.
- Nintendo executive puppets turning into Star Fox puppets. What is video games?
5:03pm BST – Star Fox Zero
- It’s a Star Fox game. Both the ship combat kind and the ground stuff as well.
- Also a Wii U game. Second screen everything!
- Holiday 2015 release
- Miyamoto explaining the rich history of Star Fox lore.
- Talking animals in space, in case you didn’t know.
- It’s a game about going under archs, according to Shigeru Miyamoto.
- Cinematic view for TV screen, ‘gameplay’ view on the Wii U controller second screen. First-person in the cockpit.
- Aims for an immersive experience.
- Less buttons! Sticks to control speed, one button to fire weapons. Other buttons for transforming your ship, flips, and u-turns.
- Oh, wing.
- Rebuilt the game using ideas from the past, but not a part 4 or part 5. Also not a remake. So Zero instead.
- Wanted to use a cool Kanji character in the logo because it reminded Miyamoto of a fox tail.
5:09pm BST – Reggie Fils-Aime Takes… the screen?
- Theme of transformation for the show.
- Nintendo NX news not until next year.
- Transformation of Mario.
- Mention of Mario Maker.
- More amiibos guys!
5:12pm BST – Skylanders Superchargers
- Weird! Something for Amiibos to actually do!
- Nintendo guest characters.
- Donkey Kong and Bowser with their own characters.
- Bowser is Reggie’s favourite. I don’t disagree!
- Technically Skylanders figures that also work as amiibos. Only works with the Wii U version of Skylanders.
- More information at Nintendo Treehouse Live
5:15pm BST – The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes
- A new Zelda coop handheld game.
- The usual three colours of blue, green, and red Link.
- New outfits with new abilities.
- Autumn 2015 release.
- For Nintendo 3DS.
- Focus more on cooperation than competition over who can get the most rupees.
- Inspired by Link Between Worlds’ success.
- ‘Totem mechanic’. Stack on top of each other. Four was too tall! So three was a better choice.
- Single player option, with two doll characters to switch to as well as Link.
- Set in a ‘fashion-savvy’ nation.
- A fashion element where you collect items to create new outfits with new abilities.
- Same courses offer different experiences depending on what you wear.
- Online play included.
5:20pm BST – Hyrule Warriors Legends (For 3DS)
- A ‘reimagining’ of the original Wii U game.
- Contains all of the Wii U DLC characters.
- Also adding Windwaker content to enjoy.
- Q1 2016 release.
5:23 BST – Metroid Prime: Federation Force and Metroid Prime: Blast Ball
- Nintendo 3Ds games with a focus on coop. Seems mini-gamey?
5:24 BST – Fire Emblem Fates
- 2016 release.
5:26 BST – FE
- So much vocaloid.
- This is a really weird game!
- Fighting and singing and transforming and what is this
- 2016 release.
- I don’t understand Japanese, so your guess is as good as mine.
5:28 BST – Xenoblade Chronicles X
- Flashy sci-fi JRPG
- Earth has been destroyed.
- 4th of December 2015
5:29 BST – Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
- Seems to be a big focus on home creation and renovation in particular.
- Improved controls for building and placing objects.
- Working for that bastard Tom Nook. I refuse!
5:31 BST – Animal Crossing: Amiibo Party
- Use amiibos for… stuff?
- This looks a lot like Mario Party with some Animal Crossing quirks.
- Mario Party are not good games.
- This is the best thing they could think to do with Animal Crossing amiibos? That’s depressing.
- No actual new Animal Crossing game huh? That’s disappointing.
5:33 BST – Yoshi’s Woolly World
- This lady loves wool and yarn. Good for her!
- It’s got style, I can’t deny that.
- (But it’s still a Yoshi’s Island game.)
- Provides challenge and fun.
- Co-op mode.
- Yoshi griefing possible. Seems appropriate.
- October 2015 release.
- Feel happy while playing this game! That’s an order.
5:36 BST – Yo-kai Watch
- Some sort of weird Pokemon game?
- Requisite Level-5 weirdness!
- Holiday 2015 release.
5:38 BST – Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
- New Mario and Luigi RPG!
- Crossover between Paper Mario and the regular kind.
- Definitely still one of those games.
- Giant Papercraft Mario rampage.
- Nintendo 3DS game.
5:40 BST – Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
- Holiday 2015 release.
- Sorry I’m not getting many details! They just won’t stop!
5:42 BST – Mario Maker
- September 2015 release.
- Play it if you want to become a developer!
- Anyone can become a pro with enough practice.